Rendering tallow from beef fat trimmings (Dry Method)
- Thaw fat trimmings in the refrigerator 24-48 hours.
- Place thawed fat trimmings in a slow cooker on low heat. Fat trimmings can be left in a large chunk, there is no need to cut the trimmings any smaller than required to get in the slow cooker with the lid closed.
- Keep on low. High temps with scorch the fat. Let the fat simmer for 8-12 hours on low until thoroughly rendered. The beef fat has been completely rendered down when most of the solid fat has lost its color and turned crispy. Turn off slow cooker and let it cool for about an hour or until the rendered fat is cool enough to handle safely.
- Remove the left-over trimmings from the slow cooker with tongs or a strainer and dispose.
- Strain the tallow in a jar or container using a fine strainer or cheese cloth. Allow to cool to room temp or cool in the refrigerator to speed up the process.
- Use for cooking, frying, flavoring, seasoning, etc.