Roasted Spatchcock Chicken
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Open chicken and remove backbone and neck from the inside. Set aside the back and neck for broth.
- Pat dry completely with a paper towel. This keeps the skin crispy.
- Rub chicken with olive oil, and rub. For a simple rub, use equal parts, sea salt, coarse ground pepper, and garlic powder. 1 tablespoon of each is plenty for a 4-5lb chicken.
- Place spatchcocked chicken breast/ skin side up on a roasting pan with rack. Flatten the breastbone and spread out the wings and legs.
- Insert spatchcocked chicken uncovered into oven. Cook until the internal temp of thigh reaches 205 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roasting time at 400 degrees is approximately 15-18 minutes per pound. A 4.5-pound bird would be approximately 1 hour and twenty minutes. ** Always cook tp temperature, not time.
- Remove from oven, cover and rest for 15 minutes before serving. ** For a crispier skin, rest uncovered.
*Our chicken is produced from a breed that takes more time to mature, allowing for ample foraging and exercise. This results in a higher proportion of leg and thigh meat compared to conventionally-raised birds found in supermarkets. To ensure optimal quality when roasting or smoking, it is recommended to cook until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 205 degrees Fahrenheit.